Sunday, September 26, 2021

Phantom Of the Opera

– Her majesty's theatre- London 20/09/21 Stalls A 26

On my first ever trip to London -a long time ago- I went to see Phantom of the opera. I had a seat all up in the gods with a terrible restricted view, but I loved the show! Later on I went to see it two more times. It remained one of my favorites.

So now in 2021, twenty years after my last visit, I find myself in her majesty's theatre, in the front row. For my 4th visit to Phantom, I just couldn't wait to see that chandelier falling straight at me...

As it was 20 years ago when I saw the original production, I really can't compare the old with the new. They have cut down a lot of musicians, and altered a few scenes I think.

I really can't review this show as I normally would, because right at the beginning of act 2, I had a panic attack. I was feeling uncomfortable in my seat from the first minute. The seats are very narrow, and there isn't much leg room in that first row, you are sitting with your knees against the orchestra pit. The person sitting next to me was also quite large and squished me in my seat even more, and wearing a face mask didn't help either. I really couldn't move and all I could think of was 'what if I get sick and have to get out of this row'. I managed to stay in my seat and concentrated on my breathing, but I really couldn't enjoy the show.

So what were the few impressions that I had?

The costumes up close are so amazing! All that detail, all that beading, for the costumes it really is a plus if you are sitting so close to where the action is. I really liked Killian Donnely's version of phantom, strong and threatening where he has to, and broken and fragile in other moments. The falling of the chandelier was really something from the front row, real scary!

I know I was totally wowed by Phantom of the opera all those years ago, I wasn't this time. I have been thinking what may have caused it, but I can only guess. I have seen so many amazing shows over the years, I may be a little more difficult to wow these days? I still absolutely love the music, but it didn't have that big powerful impact on me like it used to have, it may be caused by the smaller orchestra? Maybe front row for Phantom isn't that good, as “Masquerade” and the boatscene with the candles, miss a bit of their effect. A person also changes over the years, and my likes and dislikes may have been changed. Or maybe it was just me, feeling not 100%....

I still give Phantom 4 out of 5 stars, as it remains what it is, one of the truly great musicals in theatre history!88

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I love theatre...

I haven’t been blogging for a while now, I’m so sorry, but I’ve decided to pick back up where I left off… And maybe it’s about time to tal...