Saturday, September 25, 2021

Anything Goes

Barbican London 19/09/21 Stalls Row A seat 9

How do you describe pure perfection? How do you describe the feeling of pure joy that lingers in your heart for hours after you leave the theatre? If you would like to get an idea of what perfection looks like, go and watch “Anything Goes” in the Barbican before it's too late!

I had very high expectations beforehand. And sometimes those high expectation can't be met, but this time, oh boy!

It is an old school musical, “Anything Goes”, back then, the songs came first, and the story was written around those songs. So it's natural the Cole Porter songs are stage center. I just love the atmosphere of those old songs, I would just love to put on a ballgown and quickstep the night away.

I didn't expect much of the storyline, but it is fun, full of comical twists and turns, and of course with a very happy ending!

So what is needed to make “Anything Goes” this kind of perfect show? Some great actors with good comical timing: the amazing Robert Lindsay, and Felicity Kendal and Gary Wilmot: check! A couple of star eyed lovers: Samuel Edwards and Nicole-Lily Baisden: check! Some really funny characters like Erma and Lord Evelyn Oakleigh, played by Carly mercedes Dyer and Haydn Oakley: check An incredible ensemble, high energy singers and dancers: check! And a star, and what kind of star!!! Reno Sweeney played by Sutton Foster!

Miss Sutton Foster is a triple threat, her acting is superb, her singing perfect and her dancing, wow, she can tap like the best! But besides that, she has a quality beyond that, and that is a real charismatic presence. She just ooses joy, her energy towards all the other cast members is electric, a wink here, a smile there... And she 'playes' the audience, she has the audience in the palm of her hand.

The best theatre is about energy, its the subtle exchange of energy between the stage and the audience. And with “Anything Goes” the energy was pure, pure joy. If you are a bit down and need a boost, this is the show for you.

If I could I would have seen this show multiple times, this is one I would love to have on DVD. So after coming home, I ordered the CD online to catch a bit of this magic. It is the broadway cast instead of the London cast, but it's better than nothing.

I am sure I will remember this show for the rest of my life, I am utterly grateful to have seen it. It gets 5 stars from me!

The only slight problem I have now... I would really want to go to Broadway to see more of Sutton Foster. She will star in “The music man” on Broadway soon, I would love to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I love theatre...

I haven’t been blogging for a while now, I’m so sorry, but I’ve decided to pick back up where I left off… And maybe it’s about time to tal...